Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Project

Well, I've been getting a lot of queries from fans about the new project. I have to be a little careful, because I'm still in the early stages of writing and I don't thnk my agent would like me spilling too much before it even gets sold, but I can toss out a few tidbits for you wonderful people.

First off, it's fantasy (duh).

Second, it's a series. Looking like it will be four books. It will feature all new characters and situations. As much as I love the Shadow Saga with Caim and Kit and Josey, I needed to go in a different direction. So I'll be introducing you to new characters whom you'll (hopefully) love just as much.

It's epic. As many of you will know, the Shadow Saga took on a more epic form as the series progressed, and I'm building on that to launch this new series. The basic premise is a fish-out-of-water combined with blood magic, insane God-Kings, internicene warfare, and violence. (The lovely ultraviolence, as little Alex might say.)

So where do we stand? Well, first, you need to go out and buy Shadow's Master, if you haven't already! Then, you'll need to be a little patient. I'm not a quick writer. Especially with a new series, I need the time to work it out in my head, and then on the electronic page. But I promise not to be Martin-esque in my delivery of the good. ;)

6 comments:

Paul Weimer said...

Yes, that will definitely do.

And in the meantime I need to finish reading Caim and Kit and Josey's story...

Kathryn said...

I've probably asked these two questions, but I've forgotten. Answering them again certainly couldn't hurt either of us, though, although I understand you may not be able to.

1. Are we going to have more strong female characters? Josey is, sure, but you cannot beat Kit.
2. Any plans or so forth for perhaps a bit of LGBT representation?

Thankee-sai

#TeamKit

Bryce L. said...

Looking forward to the new series! I just got my copy of Shadow's Master - can't wait. :)

Jon Sprunk said...

Kathryn: those are excellent questions.

One of the central characters is quite a strong female protagonist. She's in the thick of the plot and has a great deal of sway over how events go.

To the second question, I'm still early in the first draft, and so far none of the characters has told me they might be LGBT, but doesn't mean it won't come up later in the text. I will say that none of the main characters' relationships is written in stone right now. The last thing I want to do is create a "token" gay character just for the sake of doing it. I need to be true to the characters as they present themselves.

Thanks for asking!

Kathryn said...

1. Awesomeeeeeeeeee :D

2. That's fair enough, I agree and think that's best. I do hope that one reveals themselves as such, even if it's just a minor character - L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s third Imager Portfolio book had a gay male in it, which I thought was good (he was an important character, but not a main one). Heck, even passing references are good - it'd just be cool to see someone LGBT pop up :)

But thanks for answering the questions, Jon. I wish you nothing but the best of luck with the new project.

Jon Sprunk said...

Thanks again, Kathryn.

And for the record, I'd really love to feature a LGBT MAIN character in a story, but the revelation hasn't come to me yet. Actually, it did, a long long time ago, but the story never saw completion. So never say never.