Monday, July 11, 2011

Bricks and Mortar

Hey folks,

Just wanted to talk about bookstores, the real ones you can walk into and browse without a monitor or a mouse (we hope). I've loved going to my local bookstores since as long as I can remember. I like to walk through the aisles and see all the cover art, pick up the books and read the back cover. To me, that is book buying.

I understand we live in a new age where it's easier to shop online, and I don't begrudge anyone that convenience. But if you're a reader--a true lover of books--you need to consider what life would be like if our physical bookstores closed down. Sure, you could still find the works of your favorite big-name authors online, but what about the new voices just emerging? Can you trust web browsers to pick out the next GRR Martin, Joe Abercrombie, or Stephen King?

And for authors, book stores represent a great way to connect with our readers. It's a little difficult to do a book signing online.

Just something to think about the next time you're looking for a book.

My new book, Shadow's Lure, can be found at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Aaron's Books (Lititz, PA), Between Books (Claymont, DE), and other fine bookstores.

6 comments:

DRC said...

It's my ultimate goal to see my work sitting on a book shelf in a shop. The ever increasing online growth is a scary thought and makes me wonder whether I'll ever get that chance.

Paulina said...

I completely agree with you! I love going into bookstores and browsing. Sometimes you go in, having absolutely no idea what you want and you pick up a great book. It's like it finds you. I can't count the number of great finds I've discovered merely wandering through used bookstores.

Jon Sprunk said...

DRC, it's a feeling every new author should get to have. I hope we can preserve the bookstore culture while still adapting to new technology.

S Goudie said...

And since you wrote this blog post.... the remaining Borders bookstores have thrown up their hands in surrender and will close. Sigh... After Don and I met and married, he liked to tell people he did it because I was the first woman he'd met who could outlast him in a bookstore browsing session. :)

Anonymous said...

bought SL from Borders 5 days before bankruptcy.. hope you see some of the money....

Jon Sprunk said...

It's sad. There's a chance Books-a-Million will buy some of the PA Borders. We'll see.

Anony: Thanks! maybe...